Psychologists and psychiatrists can play their part in treating a borderline by reorganisation.
Below I’ve listed ways how:
- Replace ‘you are too emotional and take things to heart’ with the words ‘I know you’re struggling, please can you explain to me what happened in more detail and why you feel the way you do? If the therapist is weary of delusions compromising or interfering with the therapy then they can arrange a follow up meeting and ask the same question again for clarification purposes.
- Ask a borderline what their creative hobbies are and suggest creative activities they can do.
- Remind the borderline they are aware their negative emotions are not intentional but be more parental in a supportive way and suggest ways can remove the anger from their processes although in times of crisis the anger can be explosive because of the highs and the lows.
- Introduce positive communication methods and integrate this into therapy to help the borderline communicate more efficiently in times of distress.
- Dont take things to heart with a borderline- they can lose their trust pretty quickly but only because they’ve been hurt so much before.